Kennington Playgroup CIO
How we use your child’s information
Personal information is information that identifies your child as an individual and relates to your child. For example, information about how well your child is doing at Playgroup and any information that we need to take care of them. Photographs and videos also count as their personal information.
Below are examples of the different ways in which we use your child’s personal information and where that personal information comes from:
- Admission forms give us lots of personal information about your child. We get information from you and your child’s key person at playgroup regarding development.
- Sometimes we get information from your child’s doctors and other professionals if needed to look after your child.
- We may need to report some of your child’s information to the government. For example, we may need to tell the local authority that your child is eligible for funding or let them know if we have any concerns about your child’s welfare.
- With your prior consent, we may use photographs or videos of your child for the playgroup website and social media sites or to advertise the playgroup and our fundraising activities. We may continue to use these photographs and videos after your child has left playgroup.
- We regularly use photographs to assess your child’s development, in accordance with Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework.
This notice is to help parents and gardians understand how and why Kennington Playgroup CIO collects your child’s personal information and what we do with that information. It also explains the decisions that you can make about your child’s information.
Parents and guardians are able to exercise their child’s data protection rights on their behalf. When your child is older (usually when they reach the age of 12) they will be considered mature enough to exercise their own data protection rights. If you have any questions about this notice please talk to the Playgroup Manager, Sarah Thomas on 01865 326606 or email at Kenningtonplaygroup@hotmail.co.uk.
The categories of pupil information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Personal information (such as name and address)
- Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language and nationality)
- Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
- Assessment information
- Relevant medical information
- Special educational needs information
Why we collect and use this information
We use the pupil data:
- to support pupil learning
- to monitor and report on pupil progress
- to provide appropriate pastoral care
- to assess the quality of our services
- for safeguarding and child protection
- to comply with the law regarding data sharing
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and process data under the following legal basis for processing:
Article 6 (GDPR)
- the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject;
Article 9 (GDPR)
- the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing of their personal data for one or more specified purposes, except where Union or Member State law provide that the prohibition referred to in paragraph 1 may not be lifted by the data subject.
Collecting pupil information
Whilst the majority of pupil information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation, we will inform you whether you are required to provide certain pupil information to us or if you have a choice in this.
Storing pupil data
Electronic data will be held on a password protected computer (in spreadsheets). Hard copies containing data will be kept in a locked filing cabinet. (This includes photographs, taken during sessions and activity mornings, in both electronic and hard copy form).
The table below shows how long we keep different types of information about your child.
|Type of Information||Retention period or the criteria used to
determine the retention period
|Parent correspondence details||Three years after pupil has left Playgroup|
|Parent Financial Records & Funding||Seven years after completion of paperwork|
|Pupil records||Three years after pupil has left the Playgroup|
|Pupil accident records||Twenty three years or until the child reaches the age of 25|
We hold pupil data in line with IRMS (Information records management service) guidelines. Please see the following document for full details on data storage including time scales.
Who we share pupil information with
We routinely share pupil information with:
- schools that the pupil’s attend after leaving us (verbal handover in most cases)
- our local authority
Why we share pupil information
We do not share information about our pupils with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
What decisions can you make about your child’s information?
From May 2018 you will be able to make various decisions about your child’s information. Some of these are new rights whilst others build on your child’s existing rights. Your child’s rights are as follows:
- if information is incorrect you can ask us to correct it;
- you can also ask what information we hold about your child and be provided with a copy. We will also give you extra information, such as why we use this information about your child, where it came from and who we have sent it to;
- you can ask us to delete the information that we hold about your child in certain circumstances. For example, where we no longer need the information;
- you can ask us to send you, or another organisation, certain types of information about your child in a format that can be read by computer;
- our use of information about your child may be restricted in some cases. For example, if you tell us that the information is inaccurate we can only use it for limited purposes while we check its accuracy.
This notice is to explain how we look after your child’s personal information. Please speak to the playgroup Manager if:
- you object to us using your child’s information for marketing purposes e.g. to send your child information about playgroup events. We will stop using your child’s information for marketing purposes if you tell us not to; or
- you would like us to update the information we hold about your child; or
- you would prefer that certain information is kept confidential.
You also have the right to:
- object to the processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
- claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
To make a request for your personal information or be given access to your child’s educational records, in the first instance please contact the playgroup lead below.
|Playgroup Lead||Sarah Thomas||Sarahthomaskpg@outlook.com||01865 326606|
|Data Protection Officer||turn IT firstname.lastname@example.org||01865 597620 (option 3)|
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
Other policies which may reference this privacy notice
This Privacy Notice also applies in addition to Playgroups’s other relevant terms and conditions and policies, including:
- any contract between the Playgroup and its staff or the parents of students;
- the Playgroup’s policy on taking, storing and using images of students;
- the Playgroup’s retention of records policy, (IRMS template);
- the Playgroup’s safeguarding policy
- the Playgroup’s Health and Safety policy, including how concerns or incidents are recorded;
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact:
|Playgroup Lead||Sarah Thomas||Sarahthomaskpg@outlook.com||01865 326606|
|Data Protection Officer||Turn IT email@example.com||01865 597620 (option 3)|
Policy update information
This policy is reviewed annually and updated in line with data protection legislation.
Policy review information
|Review date||Reviewed by|
|21-05-2018||turn IT on / Kennington Playgroup CIO in association St Swithun’s CE Primary School.|